Blues Age Grade Strength and Conditioning Coach, Cardiff Blues Rugby
1. ROLE AND PURPOSE OF POSITION:
· To provide specialist support in the area of physical conditioning to development players nominated by Cardiff Blues Pathway
· To provide specialist support in the area of physical conditioning to Cardiff RFC
2. REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
Operational: Head of Academy Strength and Conditioning (S&C), Cardiff Blues Rugby
Functional: Elite Performance Pathway Manager, Cardiff Blues Rugby
External: Cardiff RFC Director of Rugby
3. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
· Cardiff Blues Rugby Academy Coaching and S&C Staff
· Cardiff Blues Academy Medical Staff
· Cardiff Blues Schools & Colleges
· Cardiff RFC Director of Rugby and coaching staff
4. KEY QUALITIES
· Recognised degree or Higher National Diploma in Sports and exercise science or strength and conditioning.
· A minimum of 2 years experience in strength and conditioning.
· UK Strength and Conditioning Association Accreditation, or ability to obtain it within 12 months.
· Up to date first aid qualification.
· A verifiable record of programme design and delivery of physical development programmes for adolescent and adult rugby players.
· An understanding of training science and data management as these pertain to current strength and conditioning practices and high performance sport.
· Practical coaching experience across all the elements of high performance strength and conditioning.
· Effective time management and the proven ability to work independently.
· Excellent communication, computer literacy and presentation skills.
· An additional qualification in strength and conditioning related competence
· Experience in the effective use of strength and conditioning related technology.
· Experience of working effectively across multiple venues, with Welsh rugby clubs and/or schools/colleges
· Due to the nature of the role an enthusiastic and highly extroverted personality along with a physical presence could be an advantage for the specificity of the role in the weight room and field environments
· Candidates must be able to evidence proof of eligibility to work in the UK
· Valid UK driving licence or ability to obtain a UK licence
· This role will require the candidate to work extended hours, evenings and weekends as required
General areas of responsibility include:
· Design, deliver and coordinate the Pathway S&C programmes in line with Head Academy Strength and Conditioning Coach.
· Coordinate the Pathway quarterly fitness testing (college testing) according to WRU protocols and testing schedule.
· Capture, store and manage all fitness/strength test and training data and ensure that it is reviewed and informs strength and conditioning support for Cardiff Blues Academy Players.
· Responsible for the design and delivery of all fitness, recovery and game preparation elements for the Cardiff Blues U18's in line with Head Academy S&C coach.
· Deliver S&C support to the Regional U16s and Academy programme as and when required.
· Be available to assist with squad preparation during pre-season and in-season and 0during competition at both provincial and national level where required.
· Developing excellent working relationships with key 'A' licensed school/colleges, schools and club coaches.
· To be aware of and to implement Cardiff Blues nutrition policies.
· To attend Cardiff Blues workshops, in-service meetings and professional development courses/workshops and other WRU supported workshops.
· Design, deliver and coordinate the S&C programmes in line with Cardiff RFC Director of rugby and coaching staff.
· To attend, plan and implement all training sessions for Cardiff RFC.
· Be available for all home and away match day commitments in line with the needs and demands of Cardiff RFC
· Capture, store, manage and feedback all fitness/strength test and training data to Cardiff RFC Director of rugby and coaching staff
6. PERFORMANCE MEASURES
· Maintain effective relationships and professional standards with schools/colleges, regional clubs and the Cardiff Blues Academy.
· Carry out duties and responsibilities to an effective and efficient standard
· Establish excellent work practices and time management.
· Motivate, encourage and develop a professional environment for sub academy identified players to train in.
· Make effective and informed decisions in relation to the role.
· Portray a competent and professional image of Cardiff Blues and on behalf of Cardiff Blues Fitness department.
· Achieve set KPI's as determined by the Head of Academy S&C coach and Elite Performance Pathway Manager
7. KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
NB: The following KPI's are general. Specific targets will be set for your role. The meetings will also include an appraisal and review of the attainment of the KPI's set at previous meetings. An end of year review will also take place where the duties and responsibilities will be fully appraised.
· Deliver specific targets agreed with Cardiff Blues Academy Head S&C coach and Elite Performance Pathway Manager.
· Ensure that the Academy's fitness testing (WRU central testing) is completed according to the correct protocols and schedule and that test data is managed and stored effectively.
· Complete and implement a comprehensive periodised plan of a programme of development for selected players in conjunction with Cardiff Blues Academy staff
· Have all periodised programmes sanctioned by Head Academy S&C coach.
· Operate an individualised periodised approach to players' conditioning establishing targets for each player bearing in mind the other demands made on players (college timetable, study, exams, WRU representation etc.).
· Complete regular feedback/monitoring of college players identified by the Cardiff Blues Academy.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter to Hannah.Rickards@cardiffblues.com by Friday 15th May.